Current & Prospective Artist Agreements and Procedures
Updated December 2022
For many years the Mattie King Davis Art Gallery has been known for the fine quality of arts and crafts offered for sale by our participating artists.
Please read the following that all artists (current and prospective) must adhere to:
- Each Mattie King Davis Art Gallery artist must be a CURRENT member of our support organization, the Beaufort Historical Association at the Contributor Level ($35 currently) or greater.
- Art must be juried:
- New artists must be juried into the gallery.
- New art media from existing artists must also be juried. (i.e. an existing painter member submitting clay or photography, etc.)
- The jury may refuse to accept work that is not properly framed or packaged. The Jury may also refuse to display work that is inappropriate for our Gallery.
- If accepted into the gallery Artists agree to the following:
- All work must be original.
- Each Artist is limited to THREE framed and FIVE matted pieces or unframed boards. These limits may be lower if the pieces are over 36” on one side.
- Artists will replace his or her unsold art every few months with new work to be sold. All new art from existing artists will be of a quality consistent with their previous juried art. If quality or consistency of art is not up to previous standards, the committee reserves the right to ask the artist to replace the work.
- Our hanging committee will hang all accepted art. Artists will not hang their own work.
- Items displayed for over one year must be removed, or they become property of the gallery to be used as donations for various BHA auctions and fundraisers.
- All submitted work will be treated with great care, however the Mattie King Davis Art Gallery and BHA will not be responsible for theft, breakage or other damage
Our Gallery is run totally by volunteers. We encourage ALL Artists to volunteer to help keep the gallery open six days a week throughout the year. Shifts are 10am-1pm or 1pm to 4pm. Training is provided.
Commission. MKD Galley Artists receive a discounted commission (25% vs. 35%) if they volunteer and work 12 shifts per year. It is each artist’s responsibility to contact the gallery to schedule shifts to meet this requirement.
Commission calculation method: (Selling price x 65% or 75% = payment to the artist.)